Wednesday, August 14, 2013

5301 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


Lectures
One of the genuine pleasures of taking EDLD 5301 is knowing that the course designers, professor, and my field supervisor all seem truly concerned with my success in the course.  The weekly lectures delivered in interview format between Dr. Arterbury and Dr. Jenkins provided a succinct and clear explanation of the new learning each week.  Their scripted discussions eliminated any danger to ramble unnecessarily.  I especially enjoyed week five as they challenged us to remain focused on growth as we step into the mantle of leadership.   The web conferences with Dr. Abshire were equally assuring as she walked us through each step of putting together our action research project.  She graciously answer every question, often numerous times, yet challenged us to seek out the answers in course documents already provided.  Her weekly discussions always put my apprehensions in check.  The web conference with Mr. Bain, my field supervisor, was also a calming experience.  He was encouraging and supportive of our wonderings and made connections with his current or past experiences.  Overall, the connections created between Lamar and student through the lectures and web conferences make this online experience personal and manageable.

Readings
Both texts assigned for this course have proven to be extremely practical.  The Dana text (2009) lays the philosophical foundation of action research and is filled with easily relatable examples and clear explanations.  The Harris text (2010) provides a step-by-step guide for walking through the action research process.  Both work well together to create a thorough and manageable introduction to action research.  If I had to select only one resource for this course, I would select the Dana text, as it provided a wealth of information on both the philosophical and practice levels. 

Searches, like electronic searches of topics and questions
I spent a great deal of time searching for possible ways to attack our low EOC Writing scores.  I found many strategies that are currently making an impact in classrooms around the country.  Project based learning, flipped learning, blogs and wikis, and community writing activities have all been successful, but I didn’t feel that my knowledge base and our technology infrastructure would enable me to move forward in any of these areas in such a short time span.  Then I stumbled upon Joseph M. Shosh’s work (2004) in which he transformed his students’ critical thinking skills and writing skills through the use of a dialogic discourse diary.  This led me to further examine his published work available online.  After sharing this article with a couple of my teachers, I was encouraged at their desire to develop a similar plan on our campus.

Assignments and activities
By far, the best assignment of this course fell in week 3 – writing the action research project plan.  Of course, it was also the most stressful week as well, but I found that once I centered upon a strategy, I was also to create a manageable and focused plan to encompass the entire school year.  Knowing that I am the “big picture” type of person, it was helpful to identify the specific steps along the way so that I didn’t get lost in the “idea” but would actually carry out the plan in a sequential and thoughtful way.  Even the assignments in weeks 4 and 5 to revise and evaluate the plan have brought even more clarity to the overall project.  It has been an extremely beneficial process to tackle. 

Discussion Board
The discussion boards were my least favorite part of this course.  Because the primary focus of the course was to create the action research project, I felt that much of what I was writing was repetitive from week to week.  Furthermore, since the discussion board is the precursor to the blog, I felt that much of what I was writing was repetitive from blog to discussion.  I generally enjoy learning from my cohorts’ observations through their posts, but the questions failed to generate much excitement or uniqueness.  I would love to see these questions be transformed in a way that creates that spark of discussion.

Blogs
I enjoyed making a blog and posting my comments on it, but I was discouraged by the haphazard way of garnishing feedback from my cohorts.  Unless someone forms a team or posts in Facebook, the chances of getting feedback is rare due to the large numbers of students taking this course at any given time.  Ultimately, though, I feel the process of creating and maintaining a blog is good practice for future leadership opportunities.  I went so far as to create a private blog to journal my experiences as I travel through the program at Lamar.  Hopefully, this will create a habit that I can’t do without.

Dana, N.F. (2009).  Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action
        researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, a Joint Publication with the American
        Association of School Administrators.
Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J.P. (2010). Examining what we do to improve our
        schools: 8 steps from analysis to action. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.
Shosh, J.M. (2004).  Making meaning in a dialogic discourse diary.  English Journal,       
        94(1), 53-58.

No comments:

Post a Comment