Friday, July 26, 2013

Lessons Learned

I learned many things this week:
  1. I learned that The Gaylord in Grapevine is a beautiful place to spend a few days - especially the Riverwalk Cantina where I enjoyed awesome Mexican food and adult beverages.  But I also learned that work conferences often interfere with my Lamar homework, especially with sketchy internet service at the hotel.
  2. I learned that my Facebook group is an excellent resource for information and encouragement.  I love following your comments and discussions each day.  It's good to know that I'm not alone in this journey.  Thank you for being a part of the group!
  3. I learned that being an administrator is more than just managing (although this was addressed in our first course) - it's about continual growth through ARPs.  I know I'm a little dorky, but this excites me.  I was dreading the managerial component of administration more than anything else.  In addition, I was very excited about writing nine topics based on our chapter 2 readings.  I'm looking forward to this project!
  4. I learned that I am capable of taking this journey.  After 24 years in the classroom, I was leery about jumping back into the post-secondary saddle, but I've determined that if I tackle each assignment one piece at a time, I can proverbially "eat the whole elephant" in just 5 weeks.  Yum!
Good luck to each of my cohorts. 

5 comments:

  1. I love your post! For your #1 comment, I felt that way during our first class. I was a Holiday Inn in Galveston at the Tots and Technology conference. Getting on the internet at the hotel was next to impossible to watch the web conference that week! I think it is great that you are going back to school after 24 years! I have been out of school for 11 years, but this will be my 4th year to teach. Good luck on your research journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes,vacation inteferes with Lamar homework. I just got back from Colorado.
    2. Our facebook page is the best!
    3. The nine topics stretched me and I am still working on them.
    4. Yes, you are so capable of doing this!

    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that you listed! I love lists... After 5311 I feel leery about using them, but they seem only logical for me. Keep it up!
    1. I was on vacation last week, kinda stressful! Who knew driving from Cody, Wyoming to Jackson Hole, Wyoming through Yellowstone could take over 6 hours of drive time. Only 140 miles of road.... Yes I was panicking! I can gladly say I have now been to Yellowstone!
    2. Social Media makes the world turn, in my eyes!
    3. The nine topics stressed me. I want to say and do all the right things so I can get a good grade. (My inner Nerd keeps fighting to get out!)
    4. We can do this! With some sweat, tears and A LOT of adult beverages we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Facebook group keeps me sane when I feel like I am completely lost. I am happy to see that everyone has questions and most of the time someone else has already asked the question I have. We were across the street at Great Wolf Lodge and yes, it is next to impossible to get homework done on vacation. Thank goodness for vacations though! Good luck this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for not replying sooner. Your post and the comments are spot on. When I've explained the online class to a relative recently she seemed concerned about the lack of interaction. I reassured her that, as silly as it sounds, the Facebook group is one of the most valuable parts of this process.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. I hope week 3 has gone well for you.

    ReplyDelete